Physics Majors & Minors
The Physics program at UW-Whitewater is designed to prepare students for a career of investigating and understanding the principles that govern the world and universe around us. The major has several tracks:
- Education: Designed especially for students who want to teach high school physics
- Graduate School: Designed especially for students who want to pursue graduate study in physics or a related field
- Engineering and Industry: Designed especially for students who want to pursue an engineering career. There are several options:
- Four year degree: Students in this program will complete a B.S. degree in Physics: Engineering Emphasis and usually a minor in Mathematics.
- Dual Degree program: Students have the option of completing 3 years of work at UW-Whitewater and 2 years of work at UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee or UW-Platteville. In return they earn a B.S. degree in Physics: Engineering Emphasis from UW-Whitewater and a B.S. degree in Engineering (either Electrical or Mechanical) from our partner institution. Please see our Dual Degree information page.
We have assembled a table of course requirements for each of the four major emphases. You can also click on the emphasis names above to view a sample four year plan for each. The department Course Rotation
is available on the web or in printed form at the department office to help you plan which courses you wish to take in the future. You may also explore the Undergraduate Catalog, where you will find additional information about the above four emphases as well as other programs for which physics faculty provide advising:
- Physics Minor
- Physics Education Emphasis Minor
- Physical Science Minor
The UW-Whitewater Registrar has sample Academic Advising Reports (AAR)
for each of the Physics Major Emphases and Physics minors. The sample AAR shows in detail all of the requirements needed for the chosen degree.And finally, feel free to contact
the Physics Department for more information. We'd be happy to discuss your career goals with you and explain how we can help you reach them!