The University Honors Program (UHP) is an academic experience for motivated undergraduate students who seek a challenging and intellectually enriched learning environment. The program cultivates students in their academic development by providing small classes and seminars that are led by some of the university's most accomplished teachers and scholars. It also allows students to work one-on-one with their professors on customized H-Option projects.
Further, through high-impact practices such as study abroad/ travel study, Honors conference participation, the Honors Advantage and Honors Enrichment Learning Communities, special field trips, service learning projects, and scholarship opportunities, the program supports Honors students to achieve their full potential as students, prospective professionals, and future civic leaders. Finally, the program has fashioned fruitful collaborations with other Student Diversity, Engagement, and Success subunits, such as the Undergraduate Research Program and the McNair Scholars Program. These programs helps students pursue experiential learning opportunities outside of the UHP through Honors Exchange Credits.
WHAT'S NEW IN THE UNIVERSITY HONORS PROGRAM:
- All Honors students who successfully complete a special H-Option Project are invited to convert their project into a conference poster or presentation at the Upper Midwest Regional Honors Conference (UMHC). The UHP sends out email information about these opportunities as they become available.
- Consider signing up for one or more Honors 498 courses (1 credit, graded S/NC). These courses are designed to be community-building and personal-enrichment courses. Honors 498 courses are repeatable up to six times.
- Plan Ahead! Honors students may enroll in Travel Study 491: Sociology Honors to Ireland and UK (3 credits) which takes place every odd-numbered year Spring. Honors students who have enrolled in this course have attested to the richness of the experience. Sign up for the course, and experience the wonders of the course for yourself! Learn more by visiting here!
- The UHP website features a section called "Honors Students in the Spotlight." If you would like to be included in the spotlight for a special achievement as an Honors student, please do let the UHP know. In addition, if you would like to contribute a video or written testimonial about how the UHP has enriched you academically or personally, you are welcome to do so.
- Periodically check the homepage for UHP news and important announcements, including application deadlines for Honors scholarships/awards.