Contact Information:

Program Coordinator: Anne Tillett

Phone: 262-472-1833


Frequently Asked Questions

Why join the ECE4U program?

  • You have your Associate Degree from one of the Wisconsin Technical Colleges.
  • You work part or full time.
  • You are confortable using a computer and learning online.
  • You are self-motivated to learn independently, but appreciate the support of peers.
  • You want to learn from instructors who have practical real-life experiences who will challenge and inspire you.
  • You want to have optimal employment choices in the field.
  • You have a desire to work with and teach young children in inclusive settings.
  • You want to make a difference in the lives of children.

How do I know if courses will transfer to UW-Whitewater?

Transferology is an amazing tool. This website allows you to look up a class at any college or university, including the Wisconsin Technical Colleges, to see if it will transfer to another institution, in addition to the course name and number.

What teaching licenses can I earn through this program?

The UW-Whitewater Early Childhood Education program, including the ECE4U cohort, provides students the opportunity to earn dual Wisconsin DPI licensure. You will simultaneously earn the Early Childhood Regular Education License #1777 and the Early Childhood Special Education License #1809. Both cover the age group of birth to age 8 (third grade).

What types of jobs are available with a Bachelor of Science in Education if I choose not to apply for my teaching license?

  • Community Childcare
  • Head Start
  • Early Head Start Teacher or Family Advocate
  • Preschool/Child Care Teacher
  • Program Director
  • Administrator
  • Community and Non-Profit Organizations related to Early Care and Education
  • Trainer
  • Technical Advisor

What types of jobs in Early Childhood Education and Special Education require teaching licenses?

  • County Birth to Three programs
  • School District Early Childhood classrooms
  • School District funded Kindergarten and 4K programs
  • Early Elementary Grades, Special Education
  • Early Elementary Grades, Classroom Teacher (1 st, 2 nd, and 3 rd grades)

Can I graduate with my degree and then return to earn my licenses at a later date?

Yes, you can graduate without your license and return later. Please be aware, however, that if the UW-Whitewater program changes or if the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction licensing rules/requirements change, you will be responsible for meeting the new requirements and standards.

Can I attend part time?

Yes, the program can be completed at your own pace. Your program advisor will help you design a plan that meets your unique needs and situation.

How do I use WebEx?

WebEx is a valuable tool for online students. It allows you to meet with someone through an internet connection with audio and visual capacities, and allows you to share a computer desktop. Please refer to the university’s WebEx webpage for more information.

Do I have to come to UW-Whitewater campus?

Yes, students must come to campus six times each semester. This works out to be once or twice a month. You may find the upcoming semester schedules under “Schedule.” Please plan ahead accordingly, as these meeting opportunities are required and important.

If you have a lengthy commute, you may consider utilizing the option of staying on campus. A room or suite may be rented by the day. Additional information on availability and rates can be found via email inquiry:

Where are classes held?

Classes are held in Winther Hall, located on the west side of Prairie Street, South of Starin Road.

Where can I park?

On Saturdays, parking on campus is free. The most convenient lot is located at the corner of Prairie Street and Starin Rood.

If you come during the week, a daily pass can be purchased for $5 at the Visitor's Center, located on the north side of Starin Road, west of Prairie Street.